The Marsh Building
We are excited and pleased to be a part of your lifestyle and future!
Built in 1895, Mr. and Mrs. Baxter Marsh commissioned architect Charles E. Park to design 151 Amity Street for their son Edward.
Entrepreneurial, the Marsh family whose roots date back to the 1700's, was noted for the manufacturing of children's carriages, operating a furniture store and a funeral home shop. 26 Main Street, Amherst - The Marsh Block - housed these businesses from 1869 through 1930.
After graduating in 1876 from Amherst College, Edward stayed on as an Instructor, Assistant Librarian and Registrar. In the fall of 1895, he sold 151 Amity Street to Amherst College to house the fraternal order of Phi Kappa Psi. Mr. Marsh continued to reside at 151 Amity Street along with other instructors and students. In 1922 the home returned to serve as a single family residence.
Charles E. Park was the architect for the Barrett Gym, now known as Pratt Gym and for William Hall - both located at Amherst College.